Monday, March 30, 2015

Spreading the love...

Today I went fishing at Rocky Mountain PFA in NW Georgia. I was on the water for about six hours, threw everything in the box at them and only caught two small fish. Some people would consider that a waste of time and maybe in their world it is. In my world it's called fishing. Its as simple as that, no matter how good you are sometimes... the fish ain't hungry. What I did see today made up for lack of catching. I watched an osperey catch a nice sized fish. I got to see two juvenile bald eagles practice their mating rituals while in flight. This went on for about twenty minutes then they came oh so close to catching a very lucky mallard duck. On my paddle back to the ramp I discovered a dead grebe. For those wondering what a grebe is, they are duck like birds, kind of small and they dive for minnows to eat. This poor grebe had dove for his last meal courtesy of a broken piece of fishing line. Someone had gotten their lure hung on some submerged rocks and broke their line. When the grebe dove he became tangled in the line and drowned. I freed the line from the grebe so the eagles or ospreys wouldn't get tangled if they tried for this easy meal. Throughout the day I'd noticed a young man in a sit inside kayak fishing. This kid was hard at it too. When I reached the ramp the kid paddled up and asked me abmout my kayak. He said he was going to get a brand X kayak and asked me to compare my Jackson Big Rig to the other. After a thorough walk through of my boat I suggested he should try out every kayak in his budget. I informed him of several other dealers he didn't know of and I invited him to one of the local Reel Krazy kayak fishing tournaments. I let him know that at the tourney he could see about every make of fishing kayak on the planet and he could probably paddle them as well. I told him I knew a couple of people with the brand X he spoke of and they love their boat as much as I love mine... it really is a personal preference. I introduced myself and the talk turned to why we kayak fish, the spectacular things we've seen while paddling and the very spiritual experience that goes along with paddling a little plastic boat around a beautiful lake. I could tell this kid, by the way, his name was John, well, John was bitten by the kayak fishing bug. He loved it for the right reasons and I hope my information to him helps him find the perfect boat. This meeting made my day because although I love kayak fishing, I also love talking about it to a young fellow who's just getting started. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment