Monday, April 13, 2015

The fish catching-est lure I've ever owned...

I bought a new type lure a few months ago and although it's design has been around for ages, I personally have never used one. I discovered this lure while researching for an upcoming tournament I had entered. Every article about the lake I would be fishing mentioned this particular bait. The lure is a "blade bait", simply a piece of steel, a molded lead body and a couple of hooks. It is actually an ugly lure compared to the choices offered in tackle shops these days. It has no intricate detail, as a matter of fact it resembles something of a spaceship from a 1950's SciFi movie rather than a real fish. At first glance I was turned off by the "blade bait" but at $3 I decided to try it and if it did not work there would be no big loss. The following day I loaded my Jackson Big Rig up and headed to my favorite fishing hole. This fishing trip was solely to test my new lure and to go about it I had a sort of scientific method I would use. I had formed a hypothesis, which was ...there were several lures already in my box that would do the same thing as my new bait and probably do it better. The two lures I would use to test against were tried and true fish catchers. One was a very popular lipless crankbait and the other was an equally popular lipped crankbait. Both of these baits are much more life-like than the "blade" I would be throwing. I started out fishing with the lipless crankbait and after an hour I had caught quite a few white bass. Next was the lipped crankbait and it was a little less effective with only about half the number of white bass caught. Now for the real test...I tied on the "blade bait", cast it out and caught a fish. For about the next 30 minutes I caught white bass on about 80% of my casts, at the end of the hour I had an answer to my hypothesis. With twice as many fish including 3 very nice largemouth bass caught, I was a believer in my rediscovered old school bait. Since that day I have caught largemouth bass in the 5 pound range, walleye, stripe, crappie, smallmouth, gar and a big buffalo. This blade bait is a great lure for scouting water, you can fish the entire water column at different speeds. It can be thrown and worked like a jig or lipless crankbait and jigged vertically for suspended fish or those hugging the bottom. The blade has a tight, powerful wiggle that drives fish crazy, plenty of flash and enough weight to make super long casts. It is not species specific but if there are fish in the area that eat shad you will more than likely find them. With that being said, the blade bait can cause a couple of problems. It's hooks easily get caught in your rod's eyes and it is heavy for it's size causing it to be prone to snagging bottom but at 3 bucks the payoff is nice. I now have a box dedicated to blade baits and keep one tied on one of my rods, I usually start the day fishing with it and use it as a verifying tool...when I am not catching anything on another lure I will throw the blade just to make sure there really isn't any fish around.

2 comments: