Thursday, June 11, 2015

A quick sappy tribute to Big Momma...

Back in February of 2014 I bought my 3rd kayak. I was forced into the purchase by a thief and had very bitter thoughts towards this Reebok shoe wearing scoundrel. You ask how I know he wears Reeboks... I saw his foot prints in the mud next to the drag mark my kayak left while he was stealing it AND I haven't worn Reeboks since the early 90's when I had a pair of red hightops just like Sammy Hagar. What this thief did was a blessing in disguise, as a matter of fact, knowing what I know now he's no longer a thief because I give him the boat. Yes, he can have it and I'd even shake his hand for the favor. Two things were certain at this point...I no longer had a kayak and I had to get a new one. The boat I got was a Jackson Big Rig, "it was designed by fishermen for fishermen"....SOLD! "They say you can stand up while fishing"...I'll take it. I and even more so, my wife would find out this boat and all of it's features would be like throwing jet fuel on an already hot fire....I was ready for the ride. I honestly didn't think I could love fishing anymore than I already did but the first fishing trip with it I floated my favorite trout river. I stood most of the way and landed my largest trout ever. I was blown away by Big Momma's stability and comfort. The more I fished from it the more my love grew, so much that I applied for spots on HOOK1 kayak fishing gear and Jackson Kayak's fishing teams. I wanted to spread the love, I wanted people to experience what I had felt and done. Both of these companies accepted me and the fire became white hot. Was it my skill level as a fisherman that had gotten me to this point? Nope, it was my love and passion for the sport and I owe all of that to a not so little plastic boat and a thief. Friday I will be selling my boat to buy a brand new one...same kind just newer and I feel a bit uneasy. I'll be boatless for a few weeks which will be like torture (pray for my wife) but I've grown attached to the blamed thing, I've had the most fun, caught more big fish and I've paddled her through some very unique waterways all while creating some great memories. Big Momma will be missed but she's about to lead an unsuspecting man into a world of fishing and exploration that he cannot fathom. Good luck, Tight lines and enjoy the ride. Peace and "thank God for little plastic boats."

No comments:

Post a Comment