Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Just waiting on time and the weather.

I love saltwater fishing; so much that I'd live on the coast if I could fish everyday. In the past few years we have vacationed at Ormond by the sea.I've made friends with an elderly man in the little beach side community we rent in. He was born and raised in the area and if you can catch him before "toddy time" he is full of great stories and very useful fishing knowledge. On our first trip he let me know that if I paddled off of the beach, there is a ledge about 3/4 of a mile out and the fish generally hang out there. A few mornings later the mighty Atlantic was as calm as a lake and I ventured out...sure enough, the ocean floor dropped from 35 to about 60 feet and not long after I passed the drop off a fish bit my blue runner that I was trolling. After a long run I turned the fish and he jumped, it was a big king mackerel. The king broke me off shortly after but after that experience catching a big pelaegic fish out of my kayak is they carrot that is dangled before me. My friend told me that this ledge is one of the few nearshore structures in the area and that is why it holds fish. Well, this sparked my attention and I hit the internet searching for any wrecks or reefs within paddling distance. For your information, a fishing forum is not the place to find any unpublished coordinates for wrecks or reefs but a scuba diving site, let's just say they aren't as tight lipped about the subject. The dive site I was reading gave me just enough info to get the name of a dredge barge that sank in the late 1800's one mile offshore. With this ship's name I was able to find not only the coordinates but also an in depth article and several YouTube videos of the actual wreck. In the videos I could see a plethora of bait, kingfish, snapper and some giant Goliath grouper. Ironically around the same time I was researching that wreck, Florida Sportsman magazine published an article about offshore freshwater springs in the gulf. Several captains make a living off of fishing these odd natural occurences in the right seasons. I did a Google search for underwater offshore springs in Florida's Atlantic and bingo, I had some info. I started reading a USGS report on the"Florida Aquifer" and about 50 pages into it is a bit of information complete with pictures, coordinates etc. of an undersea spring 3 miles offshore in 80' of water.It is also in the general area of the wrecked barge I mentioned earlier. They reveal that the width is 120' and the additional depth is 40' making the overall depth 120'. Structure like this are magnets to fish, big fish and when I think of these discoveries I get sort of giddy. One day I will paddle out and fish both of these spots but I've made a promise to myself that it won't be a solo trip for obvious safety reasons. I've got a very good idea that one or more of my kayak fishing buddies would do this adventure in a heartbeat and when the available time, weather and ocean conditions all line up with the stars we'll go and it will be awesome. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment